- Social Theory: Classical and Contemporary Approaches, SC5003, Term A&B, module leader
- Gender Studies, SC6013, Term B, module leader
- Research and Dissertation, SC6000, supervisor
Graduate Students: supervision and examination
Completed PhD students
- Dr Cigdem Esin: Construction of Sexuality in the Narratives of Well-Educated Young Women in Turkey. (Director of Studies, UEL funded, degree awarded in 2009)
- Dr Sally Sales: Paradoxes of adoption (Director of studies, degree awarded in 2009)
- Dr Chrysanthi Nigianni: Queer: Corporealising the other. (Second supervisor, UEL funded, degree awarded in 2009)
- Dr Gudrun Loehrer: Cinematic Governmentality: A Cultural History of Tuberculosis and Malaria Health Films in the United States of the 1940s (Second supervisor, UEL funded, degree awarded in 2009)
- Dr Anthea Elizabeth Williams: Priests in the Making or Priests Already? – The Life Stories of Candidates for Ordination in the Church of England. (Director of Studies, degree awarded in 2010)
- Dr Diane Yeh:Re-imagining (British)-Chineseness: The Politics and Poetics of Art and Migration in Diaspora Space. (Second supervisor, UEL funded, degree awarded in 2010)
- Dr Linda Sandino: Life History Narratives in the Applied arts. (Second supervisor, degree awarded in 2010)
- Dr Ruth Ballardie: ‘Making gender trouble-Tomboys and their sisters’ (External supervisor for Monash University, Australia, degree awarded in 2010)
- Dr Solveigh Goett: Linking Threads of Experience and Lines of Thought: Everyday Textiles in the Narration of the Self (Director of Studies, AHRC funded, degree awarded in 2011)
- Dr Natasha Prescott: A genealogical exploration of the conditions of possibility for re-feeding to emerge as a treatment regimen (Professional Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, second supervisor, degree awarded in 2013)
- Dr Anna Hulusjö: The multiplicities of prostitution experience: narratives about power and resistance. (External supervisor for Malmo University, Sweden, funded by the Swedish Crime Victim, degree awarded in 2013)
- Dr Mary Lodato: ‘‘Goldenslippers in the sand’: institutional abuse in Ireland, redress and recovery (Second supervisor, degree awarded in 2015) Listen to Mary being interviewed about her PhD journey here
- Dr Sabrina Liccardo: Re-imagining scientific communities in Post-Apartheid South Africa: A Dialectical Narrative of Black Women’s Relational Seves and Intersectional Bodies. (Commonwealth split-site scholarship between Witwatersand University, South Africa and UEL, degree awarded in 2015)
- Dr Gergana Zaidan: The role of space in learning: spatio-educational experiences of female students within Emirati Higher Education. (Director of Studies, degree awarded in 2016)
- Dr Camille Barbagallo: ‘The Political Economy of Reproduction: motherhood, work and the home in neoliberal Britain’. (Second supervisor, UEL funded, degree awarded in 2016). [You can watch aspects from Camille’s research here].
- Dr Sharon Gallagher: ME and its discontents: Life Stories and Photo Elicited Diaries of a ‘Severe’ Chronic Illness. (Director of Studies, degree awarded in 2016)
- Dr David Cudworth: Negotiations of Power and Resistance: a spatial exploration of educational policy and practice with particular attention to the stories surrounding the learning and teaching of Gypsy/Traveller Children (external supervisor for the University of de Montfort, degree awarded in 2017)
- Dr Isabel Meier: Re-Locating Asylum Activism: Asylum Seekers´ Negotiations of Political Possibilities, Affective Borders and the Everyday (advisor, degree awarded in 2019)
- Dr Emma Jones: Can the Colonizer Listen? Ethnographic Encounters with Empowerment (UEL Excellence scholarship, second supervisor, degree awarded in 2020)
Current Students (MPhil/PhD)
- Graham Robertson: Speaking ‘freely’ & ‘frankly’ in a school context: A Foucauldian approach to ’schooling’ [Director of Studies, part-time]
- Athanasios Vlachakis: Students at Risk: a Foucauldian approach [Director of Studies, full time]
PhD/MPhil External Examinations
- Dr. Michael Hall: Struggles for the soul of higher education: a genealogy of graduate employability, University of Winchester, 2019.
- Dr. Daniel Leyton: Affective Governmentality, Ordo-liberalism and affirmative action policy in Higher Education. University of Sussex, 2018.
- Dr. Aggeliki Sifaki: Greek Lesbian Teachers: School, Nation, Family, University of Utrecht, Netherlands, 2018.
- Dr Siobhán Madden: The Mermaids fight for freedom: voices of feminist community activists plunging through neoliberal times. National University of Ireland, Maynooth, 2017.
- Dr Manoela dos Anjos Afonso: Language and place in the life of Brazilian women in London: writing life narratives through art practice. University of the Arts, London, 2017.
- Dr Joanna Mensinga: My Body/Mind Tells me Things my Profession and Sometimes I Find Hard to Hear: A Narrative Exploration of how Social Workers and Human Service Workers Listen to their Bodies in Practice, James Cook, CQU University Australia, 2017.
- Dr Celine Kearney, Southern Celts: An Investigation of how People with a Celtic/Gaelic Background Live Out Their Traditions in Aotearoa New Zealand. Victoria University, Australia, 2016.
- Dr Joan Norah Healey. How Occupational Therapy Students Negotiate the Emotional Aspects of their Placement Learning, Sheffield Hallam University, Doctorate in Education, 2015.
- Dr LynseyPlockyn: Widening Participation – Biographies of student transitions to Higher Education, University of Southampton, Doctorate in Education, 2015.
- Dr Pablo de Monte:
Of degrees and villas. Writing and reading testimonios of high school graduates from a shanty town in Buenos Aires in their attempts to access and succeed in post-compulsory education studies.This is not a thesis. UCL Institute of Education, 2015.
- Dr Connor Tiarnach O’Donoghue: An auto/biographical study of Irish masculinities. Trinity College Dublin, 2015.
- Dr Josephine McSkimming: Identity Formation and re-formation within and beyond Christian Fundamentalism, University of New South Wales, Australia, 2014.
- Dr Ian McGimpsey: Youth service assemblage: youth work subjectivity and practice in the context of changing youth service policy, Institute of Education, University of London, 2014.
- Dr Helen Cerne: Circling Lyna: narratives exploring Lyna Bryans, the Darebin artists and the self, Victoria University, Australia, 2013.
- Dr Barbara Droth: Live Art, Life Art: A Critical Visual Study of three women performance artists and their documentation, Sussex University, 2013.
- Dr Jane Plowright: Theorising the state of ‘demoncracy’ through the prism of ‘quality’ in higher education. Monash University, Australia, 2013.
- Dr Maria Fordham: Being and becoming a Specialist Public Health Nurse (Homelessness), University of Bedfordshire, 2013.
- Dr Eleni Stamou: Exploring Youth Identities and Educational Pathways: Habitus, Technologies of Time, Identification. Institute of Education, University of London, 2013.
- Dr Charanjit, Singh: ‘Biography and the Educative: A critical Examination of the Life and Artwork of Wilhelm Heinrich Otto Dix’, University of Southampton, 2012.
- Dr Zoe Milsom: ‘Interwar Headmistresses: Gender, Identity, Space-place, University of Winchester, 2012.
- Dr Karen Williams: An Emergent Methodology for Creating a Transcultural Spatial Narrative, University of Canberra, Australia, 2011.
- Dr Vera Marten, ‘Accounting for Islamophobia as a British Muslim: The centrality of the “extra-discursive” in the discursive practices of Islamophobia’, Manchester Metropolitan University, 2010.
- Dr Meritxell Simon-Martin ‘Barbara Leigh Smith Bodichon (1827-1891): Education, feminism and Agency in Epistolary Narrative, MpHil upgrade to PhD, 2010.
- Dr Carol Taylor, ‘All Manner of Becomings: Identity, Power and the Spaces of knowledge production in A Level student research’, University of Sussex, 2009.
- Dr Annette Braun: ‘Becoming Teachers: Gender, Biographies and a Borderland professor’, Institute of Education, University of London, 2009.
- Dr Russell Walsh: ‘Obscenities offstage: Melbourne gay saunas and the Limits of Representation’, Victoria University, Australia, 2008.
- Dr Robert Jones: ‘A Critical Discourse Approach to Research Widening Participation’, Staffordshire University, 2003
PhD/MPhil Internal Examinations for the University of East London
- Dr Elena Fejdiova: Female Cosmetic Coalitions: How to be Women together through direct sales cosmetics, 2018.
- Dr Michaela Told: A Gender Perspective on Transnationalism of the Sri Lankan Diaspora Communities in Germany, 2014.
- Dr Nicola Samson: Narratives of women’s belonging: life stories from an east London street, 2013.
- Dr Mastoureh Fathi: Classed pathways: Narratives of Iranian migrant women, 2011.
- Betty Nigianni: ‘The critical aesthetic of modern urbanism: experiencing Athens’, MPhil, 2010
- Dr Amira Ahmed: Locals and Aliens: Maids in Contemporary Egypt, 2009.
- Dr Adania Shibli: Visual Terror: A study of the Visual Compositions of the 9/11 Attacks and Major Attacks in the “War of Terror” by British and French Television Networks, 2009.
- Dr Stamatia Portanova: Dance Technology and the material mutations of rhythm, 2006.
- Dr Betti Marenco: Body marking/Body Mapping: Technologies of shifting Subjectivity through skin shedding machines, 2004